Juvederm vs. Restylane: Comparing the Best Dermal Fillers
Hyaluronic acid dermal fillers are a safe and effective way for individuals to rejuvenate and enhance their appearance, without surgery, incisions, or downtime.
In fact, hyaluronic acid based products Restylane and Juvederm are two of the most in-demand anti-aging treatments among women and men of varying ages.
So, which of these dermal fillers is right for you?
Keep reading as we discuss the similarities and differences of Juvederm vs Restylane in McLean, VA.
Juvederm – What Is It and How Does It Work?
Juvederm is a hyaluronic acid based dermal filler that is FDA-approved to treat moderate to severe wrinkles and age-related volume loss in the cheeks, nasolabial folds, and smile lines.
This Allergan-produced product is also used to plump lips, diminish vertical lines around mouth, and improve lip definition.
The Juvederm line currently consists of:
- Juvederm – for moderate to severe wrinkles and lip augmentation
- Juvederm Voluma XC – for age-related volume loss in cheeks
- Juvederm Ultra XC – for added volume to lips
- Juvederm Volbella XC – for subtle lip enhancement and correction of perioral lines
- Juvederm Vollure XC – for facial wrinkles and folds around the nose and mouth – nasolabial folds and smile lines
Restylane – What Is It and How Does It Work?
Restylane is manufactured by Galderma and, like Juvederm, is comprised of a hyaluronic acid gel. It’s also FDA-approved to correct moderate to severe facial wrinkles and folds, augment lips, and restore volume and youthfulness to the face.
The Restylane line currently consists of:
- Restylane, Restylane Lyft, Restylane Refyne, and Restylane Defyne – for moderate to severe facial wrinkles and folds.
- Restylane – for augmentation of the lips
- Restylane Silk – for smoothing of fine lines around the mouth and added lip definition and volume
- Restylane Lyft – for age-related volume loss in cheeks and back of hands
- Restylane Refyne – for moderate smile and laugh lines
- Restylane Defyne – for deeper furrows and facial lines
Juvederm vs. Restylane in McLean, VA – What Are Their Similarities?
In addition to being hyaluronic acid dermal fillers, Juvederm and Restylane are both non-invasive treatments for facial rejuvenation that offer immediate results, without any downtime.
Treatment time for these two cosmetic injectables takes between 15-60 minutes, depending on which areas and concerns are being addressed.
Additionally, Juvederm and Restylane are very safe and pose little to no risk of allergic reaction, as hyaluronic acid is a substance that’s naturally produced by the body.
If necessary, the effects of both products can also be reversed with an enzyme called hyaluronidase.
Juvederm vs. Restylane in McLean, VA – What Are Their Differences?
Despite these similarities, there are several differences between Juvederm and Restylane.
According to some aesthetic experts, Juvederm offers a smoother application, making it ideal for areas like under the eyes and lips. Juvederm products labeled XC contain lidocaine to improve patient comfort, without the need for a topical anesthetic.
Juvederm is also believed to take effect slightly faster than Restylane and lasts 1-2 years.
On the other hand, Restylane can be more cost-effective than Juvederm, and Restylane Lyft has the distinction of being the only hyaluronic acid filler FDA-approved for rejuvenation of the back of the hands.
Restylane’s composition also makes it an excellent choice for treating lines around the nose and mouth and adding volume to the lips. Treatment benefits typically remain for 6-18 months.
If you are considering treatment with Juvederm or Restylane, please contact our office in McLean, VA, to schedule an appointment with Dr. Hayre. She will expertly evaluate your concerns and develop a treatment plan that best meets your needs and goals.